Tuesday 31 March 2015

What makes your soul sing?


The concept of hearing your soul sing can only be explained as feeling sick. It's as if there's something deep in the pit of my stomach screaming to get my attention so I can acknowledge that I am on the right path. People speak about their conscience talking to them or the voice inside their head, some even speak of instinct ruling their decisions. The feeling to which I refer is so much more than just instinct or conscience. It's like a clear personal clarification of "girllll you're doing good!"








I first felt this sickness when I was read Harry Potter for the first time. I clearly remember being lay on top of my bunk beds and my brother being nestled below and hearing my Dad's voice from the landing as he recited Rowling's words. I remember feeling almost intoxicated with this new feeling as I heard the description of Tonks' "bubble gum pink hair" echo into my very core. It's here that I first heard my soul sing and fell truly in love with literature. From here on in I always relied on this feeling to make decisions in life no matter how small they are.

It's the feeling I get when I hear Beyoncé sing '1+1' or I hear Ed Sheeran's voice and the same way I feel when I smell roast chicken. These are the things that make my soul dance. It's the feeling that makes me tearful when I hear Oprah speak or listening to Maya Angelou talk about her Mother. They are the moments that open their arms and embrace my very being and inspire me to take another step on the right path.

This is why I think I became so distraught when this feeling disappeared from my life, completely packed up and left. I no longer felt sick on a daily basis as I had always done at Sixth Form. When I felt a personal clarification daily that "this is where I should be." Surrounded by ethical debate and Virginia Woolf, it was hard to not hear my soul as these feelings shot round my system. To go from this constant back and fourth conversation with my soul to hearing it almost cry at the sight of Skype lectures and silent seminars was more than I could take, and I had not heard my soul sing since.

It was not until a trip to the House of Commons that I knew it hadn't quite gone. My Mom calls it my spark and I felt it was truly back. I had only experienced flickers of it since returning home, once whilst talking to an incredible woman and again when I was called someone's "favourite tutor" at work. It's always small things on the surface that I realise now are the things that allow me to move further forward in my life. A year ago these would be things I would take for granted and moments I would usually overlook or consider to be normality because of my excessive self confidence. However I can honestly say now that after desperately sitting and hoping to feel sick or get some kind of reassurance that I am moving forward when all I felt was stuck, it's these things that matter.

 It matters that my brother is allowed to shine in his own light and accepts and appreciates himself just as others do. Because truth be told, that is what makes my soul sing. Over the past year I have learnt that it's definitely important to reach your full potential and travel on the right path but you've got to have people there with you. And more importantly they've got to be people that want to be there and want to push you forward even when you're dragging yourself back into bed in your baggy shirt. These are the people that let you sob in the foetal position if you need to and the ones that accept you're 'two curries liv.' And more importantly lately, the ones that know when it's time to go for a pint! The people that know you're on a journey and things will eventually get better so they just make sure you know they're there until they do. These are the ones that will hold you up and make sure you're moving, no matter what the pace. These people make my soul sing and that never faded. I was just too intoxicated with pity and clouded with misery to listen to it.







So I beg of you to open up your soul and let it sing, because it will. No matter what the sound.

Love Liv x

1 comment:

  1. More tech specs are below. Omega, as a sponsor of the rolex replica sale PGA, is rather excited about the upcoming golfing event. Golf is a serious sport for many people and whether or not you are into rolex replica the game, you can't deny the power it has over many people's lives. For years, the world's biggest watch brands such as Rolex, Omega, and TAG Heuer have all had serious relationships with golf. Why am I mentioning golf when discussing the new Omega replica watches uk Seamaster Aqua Terra collection that was founded on dive watch principles? Well, the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra rolex replica sale has become its de facto dressy sports watch and the model they choose to hublot replica associate with their golf ambassadors such as Rory McIlroy. In Omega's latest TV commercial, they focus on Rory playing golf... in what looks like a quasi-desert landscape. On his wrist is the new "golf version" of the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial rolex replica with a green seconds hand and and metal bracelet.

    ReplyDelete