Sunday 4 January 2015

Are you a #GIRLBOSS?



" A #GIRBOSS takes her life seriously without taking herself too seriously. She takes chances and takes responsibility on her own terms. She knows when to throw punches and when to roll with them. When to button up and when to let her freak flag fly."


I am OBSESSED with this book and Sophia Amoruso herself. She is the founder and CEO of Nasty Gal, an online fashion retail empire,but she started off on Ebay because she needed some extra cash. In fact the first thing she ever sold was a book that she had stolen. She truly is proof that if you work hard enough you can achieve your dream.

" A #GIRLBOSS is in charge of her own life. She gets what she wants because she works for it." Being a #GIRLBOSS is something that I had long strived for before I had been gifted this book by my momma. Although it had been camped out in my Amazon wish list for months previous to this I had no idea that being a #GIRLBOSS is everything that I strive for, and work for in my life. The term #GIRLBOSS is a reasoning for women and girls everywhere that were ever told they were "too loud" or "too opinionated" or the dreaded word "bossy." It's a declaration that these women are often assertive and knowledgeable with a passion and a voice that needs to be heard. I, myself, was often called "bossy" from a young age because I wanted to be the teacher when we played schools and I always wanted to be the choreographer and be centre stage when we made up dances and performed them. I grew up thinking that it was wrong to want to be the head of the group all the time and to always be the one to talk in group presentations. It's only due to my momma's encouragement of me forming my own assertions and observations and to have the confidence to voice them that I didn't lose this "bossiness," or as I now prefer to call it, my #GIRLBOSS attitude.

The idea of the term "bossiness" being a label for confident girls was referred to in Emma Watsons speech at the EU for her "He for She" campaign. A speech which if you haven't seen you must immediately watch, it was most definitely a 2014 highlight for me and gives me goose bumps every time without fail. Within this speech she talks about when she was younger and she would want to direct the plays she would perform with her siblings or friends. She could not understand why her male peers were applauded for their leadership whilst she watched girls being downtrodden and discouraged. This is something I'm sure all women have experienced in their lives, some more than others, but nevertheless it's still an issue which has to be tackled. These confident girls are not "bossy" they are merely #GIRLBOSSES, who have opinions and ideas and know that they deserve to have them heard.
 

Another reason for my admiration for this book and indeed Sophia herself, is her honesty. She openly declares that she is not a "rags to riches" story. She actually expresses negativity and almost anger towards this idea and the way in which it discredits the years of hard work she did to get to where she is today, She makes it so clear that, despite what the press have said, she did not become a CEO of her own company and worth millions overnight. She speaks of how she spent her teens hitchhiking and reflects on the beauty of a dumpster bagel, which apparently you can't knock until you've tried it! This sheer openness about the ugly side of following your dreams is something that is not often explored and is very human. Something that I appreciated deeply after years of reading and hearing motivational speeches of how if you want something bad enough and try your very hardest you can get it. In reality, you could try your hardest and want something with every cell in your body and still not get it, this if life. Sophia expresses these harsh truths with humour and almost motivation. You are left wanting to be that one person that wants and tries with every inch of their being to achieve their dreams and reach their potential. This being an aim that all people and indeed women should be encouraged to aim for.
 
She truly is the modern woman. Powerful, assertive and her own boss. She is a woman to be reckoned with and definitely my inspiration on a daily basis. I believe there is a little bit of #GIRLBOSS within all of us, the key is to find the way to best unleash it in order to get what you really want.

 

Love Liv x

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment